Thursday, September 18, 2008

Why, Yes I Do Know Where My Priorities Are (Thank You For Asking)

Went to "Vagina Ripper" yesterday. We're four days past due. I was sent home with a prescription for an Ultrasound to gauge his size and a prescription for twice weekly non-stress tests. Well, we made it to one appointment.

At 7:30 this morning, Husband and I marched our happy asses into the Fetal Imaging Center. Our Lady Sonogram Tech checked his heartbeat (I saw it) and stated he was measuring about 8 lbs 8 oz, and then, after putting a towel over my tummy (not cleaning up the gel), said those dreaded words... "I'm going to go check my pictures and I'll be right back" Why are these dreaded words, you ask? Well, because this isn't our first time in this Center. And one of the other times we were in, after we found out our baby was fine, we asked the tech if they had ever had to deliver bad news. She informed us that she never has, that protocol is to say they are going to "check the pictures" and then they grab a doc to doublecheck their findings. Sure as shit, tech lady came back with Dr. Somethingorother. After he checked her findings, informed us that the amniotic fluid was low. They called Dr. VR, who called me and said something to the effect of "I'm gonna need you to go ahead and start on to the hospital so we can begin induction methods today". Well, it could be a couple of days. I have had no progress and, therefore, induction is likely to be a slow-go... so, we'll see if this baby doesn't make it here by Saturday.

Call it ironic, call it foreshadowing, call it Maternal Instinct: I have been considered about amniotic fluid levels throughout my pregnancy... have obsessed about it really. To the point where I had VR check it more than once in fear that I was leaking. I was not. I have also been concerned that I wouldn't know when my water breaks. Low amniotic fluid could be caused by a few things. One is my dehydration (entirely possible), one is my water broke and I don't know it, another is that I've passed my due date and my placenta has decided it's done doing it's job. Regardless of the cause, it has happened. It can cause a few problems, none that I will dwell on now.

Right now, I'm going to jump in the shower, eat some breakfast, tidy up me house and head to hospital.

Buh-bye.

P.S. - I've also always felt that I would have to be induced and/or a C-Section. Induction? CHECK! C-Section? TBD...

No comments: